An empathy session would consist of any combination of the following, depending on what is alive for you:
- Self-Empathy – understanding your own feelings and needs when something happened that you did not enjoy.
- Seeing the situation/conflict through the eyes of the other person/people involved – imagining & guessing their feelings and needs.
- Role-play practice: playing the roles of yourself, mediator, the other person
- Brainstorming of possible strategies that could meet everyone’s needs.
- Envisioning the best outcomes for the scenarios you anticipate facing.
In the process of exploring these, you would also be learning tools for handling future scenarios in a way that enriches your life.