Our one-day introduction workshop to NVC Mediation will be facilitated by internationally certified NVC trainer and mediator Karen Ras of Vine Coaching (the Netherlands), along with trainer and mediator Sarah Dekker of Language that Works (South Africa).
This workshop provides an experience with the language, skills and consciousness of Nonviolent Communication (NVC) applied to mediating all types of conflict whether you are one of the people in conflict or you are supporting others in conflict:
- personal and family relationships
You will learn the approach to NVC mediation and training, originated by NVC founder Marshall Rosenberg, Ph.D. and developed by John Kinyon and Ike Lasater.
Develop the capacity for centeredness and presence in the midst of conflict, and the skills to mediate from a language of compassion.
At the heart of the training is the conviction that one’s ability to be with conflict and to intervene effectively involves learnable skills; and that when applied holistically a person can produce connection and compassionate resolution both internally and externally, whether in formal or informal mediation settings.
The workshop involves two integral dimensions:
- a mediation model for facilitating conflict conversations
- a process for transforming enemy images within individuals
This training will focus primarily on the mediation model for facilitating conflict conversations. Core to the training is a three-chair learning model that creates an experiential environment with multiple modes of practice, real time feedback, in-the-moment coaching and self-directed learning:
Learn how to:
- Increase your capacity for returning to presence in the midst of intensity
- Help others resolve conflict
- Successfully mediate the conflicts in your own life
Learn a proven framework, practical skills and confidence.
- In conflict role plays, you will learn by doing and receiving feedback from multiple perspectives. You will have the chance to play mediator and conflict party, with rotating roles for optimal learning. In the mediator role, you will practice staying present and connected with yourself moment-by-moment and get real-time coaching from the trainers as well as feedback from those in the conflict party roles and from those observing. As conflict party or observer, you then have the opportunity to move into the mediator’s chair and put into practice what you have just learned.
- There is a back-and- forth flow between experiential doing and harvesting of the learning from each role play and practice situation. Trainers demonstrate, coach, facilitate and share their perspective and experience throughout, thus modelling the very skills they are offering.
Prerequisites: This is a beginner NVC mediation workshop and the basics of NVC will not be covered. However, anyone who is already familiar with the basics of NVC is welcome to register for the workshop. Others can participate in the NVC introductory 6-week course offered by Sarah Dekker in February/March. Contact us if you’re interested in creating a bespoke training for your work team.
We will be providing vegetarian refreshments. Please let us know of any dietary requirements you may have.